Sunday, December 2, 2007

When in Sudan...

Do as the Sudanese do, or get... jailed over a teddy bear?

Thousands of Islamic fanatics wielding knives demand jailed teddy bear teacher is executed

Not all cultures are created equal, especially ones without this little something better cultures like to call "common sense."

I am pretty surprised they didn't go threaten the kid who named the bear in the first place.

Update: Great news, the teacher is pardoned. I still find it awful that she had gotten jailed at all, as well as being practically kicked out of the country. However, it is most likely better for her to be back in UK where she would be (somewhat) safer.

Even after all she went through, she had the grace to be thankful and positive about her time in Sudan. While this says more about her character than it does Sudan, sometimes I wonder if it's really how she felt. I know that I wouldn't be so gracious, even if I would still be outwardly positive to avoid dragging the matter further. Although... is this a matter that shouldn't be so easily forgotten or ignored?

No comments: