Saturday, April 5, 2008

Living Like One of the Guys

Interesting column this time from Dr. Helen in which she wants to switch from purse carrying to just a wallet: Ask Dr. Helen: Living Like One of the Guys

I'm one of those "wallet-only" type of girls, unless it's a book bag for when I'm going to classes, or a backpack for trips, since I never found the idea of a purse ever a good idea. (I also hate having my hands anywhere but inside my jacket pocket, but that's another thing.)

Especially in Indonesia, where I'd seen first-hand how a pair of thieves stole a cell-phone from my friend's purse, how my girl friends and female relatives had to clench their purses shut anywhere remotely crowded, how even standing on the escalator would be a disaster if you let your guard down (saw this first hand too). Oh, guys get their wallets lifted also, but there's just less stress and paranoia involved.

I use a leather male wallet that's been with me for many years now. I don't put much in it except my cards, whatever extra cash I have, and the requisite collection of photo stickers with friends (hey, I'm still a girl!). Going out, I bring that, a chapstick, my two cell phones, and my glasses. Maybe even the car keys if I'm driving. It's a very simple thing.

Although, I admit I take advantage of girl friends and their purses to the point that I actually forgot my phone and wallet with my house mate when we were in Indo for vacation--we were too used to living in the same house in the States. I would hand over my phones (rarely my wallet, but I do sometimes) and any other extra items to whichever trusted girl friend with a purse available.

Heck, I even once handed over my phone (and wallet maybe?) to a guy friend who had extra space on his multi-pocketed cargo pants.

Hmm... after writing that, maybe I shouldn't be so judgmental of women carrying huge purses around...

(The question would be how things would work out between me and my future boyfriend/husband if neither of us is willing to bring along a purse or bag of some kind... It might actually get troublesome.)

No comments: